Moglet in

© Copyright Moglet 2011

29th September

Next morning it was clear to see that Jasons cunning plan for using the rain to wash Moglet had worked - at least in part.  Seems like the rain had only fallen on one side of Moglet...
The plan for the day was to carry on up to the tip of the Skagi peninsular, to a place called Hindisvik, mentioned in the guidebook as a good place to stop and have a watch of the seals that hang around there.

Unfortunately it seemed like the Icelandic authorities had moved the goalposts a little since the guidebook went to print, and the seal colony is now off limits to visitors.  We gnashed our teeth and grumbled out all kinds of suspicious theories about why this would be the case, mostly just disappointed that we were surrounded by dismally dreary weather, had travelled a fair distance all the way up to the top of the peninsular to see the seals and now and weren't going to get to spend the afternoon as we wanted.  The teddies were well and truly out of the pram.
But as has been proven time and time again on this trip, just because things don't turn out the way you originally expected them to, doesn't mean you would like the end result - things always seem to turn out for the best, if you like.

Little more than half an hours drive along the road and we come across another sign on the road, this time a 3ft plywood seal and an arrow pointing down a short track.  Naturally we couldnt resist a look, and when we arrived we found a level parking area, an unlocked toilet block, a water supply that was still turned on, and best of all - electric hookup that worked!  Technically the little campsite was closed, but we parked up anyway, deciding to leave money for staying in the honesty box
attached to the toilet block if necessary.  But first up, the walk to the seals.  The owners of the property had spent a fair amount of time and money by the look of things, arranging a stone pathway to take you from the campsite, past the remains of a stone and turf built house, past the little nesting boxes that eiderdown ducks used during the breeding season, past the sheep munching seaweed on the beach, taking you eventually to a purpose built wooden viewing hut.  There was even a pair of binoculars inside the hut, if you wanted to use them.  And there at the end of the path, lounging around basking in the complete lack of sunshine were around 20 seals!  Hurrah!!
We hung around for a while and watched the little chaps, but they weren’t really doing much other than laying there - too damn chilly to do much else, I reckon.  We made our way back to Moglet and after checking the weather forecast for our area for the next couple of days, decided to sit tight for the night, possibly two nights - there was a Weather Warning of gale force winds expected overnight and for much of the next day.  Moglet can handle most things, but strong winds are not her best friend - nor ours while we’re trying to get some sleep and she’s rolling around like a boat out at sea.  At least where we were we could park ourselves behind the toilets and get some protection from the wind, which is what we did.
The weather report hadn’t been wrong, the wind continued to pick up and blow a proper gale all through the night and all the next day.  The night time was so windy that we put out the sofa extension and I tried to get to sleep on that, and Jason did his best with sleeping on the floor - Moglets height means that all motion is at it's most amplified in the luton section over the cab, where the bed is.  Normally I quite like the way Moglet rocks around when you move, or with a bit of wind (an acquired taste I think - my mum absolutely hates it!), but the amount she way throwing herself from side to side, even parked as we were, trying our best to hide behind the loo’s made for an uncomfortable night.  Jason had to get the hose out of the garage on the afternoon of the 1st so we could put some water in, and rather than use the prop as we would normally, I held the top hinging garage door open - the wind was strong enough that it wasn’t sufficient to prop it up, I had to hold on to it with both hands, occasionally getting slightly lifted off my feet by the gusts - and I’m no lightweight, as Jason reminds me more often than I would like!

By the end of the second day the wind was starting to drop, but with the light fading fast it was too tempting to stay put for one more evening of guaranteed hookup and level parking.  Tomorrow is soon enough...